Friday 25 January 2013

I hit the drive thru today

Morning blood sugar: 4.4
Episodes of low blood sugar: none-been a bit high in the last 24 hours, who knows why(?), stress maybe
"C's" Mood today: he is a little off today, woke up on the wrong side of the bed I guess. Maybe he is feeding off me. On the bright side he started singing a three note part to "The Wheels on the Bus", the 'all day long' part. So cute!
Donations today: 1 from my aunt in Manitoba, thank you! Which brings me to 63% of my goal, not bad!
Clean eating today: I admit it, I hit the drive thru. I ordered a salad thankfully, even though fries were calling my name. I feel worse about the fact that I ordered C a grilled cheese sandwich which appeared to be made out of some 'pseudobread'-what I am saying is, it looked riddled with preservatives and other unsightly things. The worst part is, he appeared to like it.
Workout today: A wonderful day of rest...I'm starting to enjoy these more and more. Took the dog and child for a nice 30 minute walk.

So I am having a drive thru kind of day. Nothing makes you want the convenience and comfort of fast food more than a little bit of stress.

This started last night when I was seeing spots after my run with the running clinic I have joined. I got back to the car and tested and was at 5.8, right on target, but I felt weird. Having paranoia about running low on my 15 minute drive home I ate 3 gummy chews (the ones you can take during a long run)-a total of 15g of carbs. On the drive home I proceeded to feel a headache coming on, and a gnawing irritablility in my mood. Yes folks, the wonderful signs of high blood sugar. Indeed when I got home I was running a 9.7. Uggh, the frustration. I am trying to avoid a low by carbo loading but end up high, even though I had just completed a 6km tempo run. (?) The ongoing process never stops, keep adapting! (Chin up A! Chin up!)

Number 2 on the list of stressors was the fact that my 1 year old iPhone has been acting very funny in the last few days. Overheating even when I have shut down all of my apps, and the battery draining within an hour of charging. I took it in to have it looked at and was told my warranty had expired just 10 days ago. Uggh number 2. So it has been sent away for repair-on the bright side I have been given a loaner phone (it is a piece of junk, but it is a phone to use none the less).

On the top of my list of stressors is the terrible news I received via email this morning.  A friend shared with me that another friend, "J", has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. After I read this, a wave of nausea washed over me, and has really not left me since.

This is a friend that I had lost touch with in the last few years as a result of us moving to opposite ends of North America. J's husband C use to work with Jeff when we all lived in Calgary, Alberta. Those were the days before kids, when we stayed up late and didn't know what a hangover was; good times were had in Calgary. I had recently reconnected by email with them, as they graciously donated to my campaign. We had filled each other in on our current lives, exchanged pictures of our kids, etc.

This awful news has left me feeling down and out. How can yet another beautiful young woman (and mother of 2 young boys) be afflicted by this terrible disease. I am 31 years old and can think of a handful of friends that have already battled cancer- this just isn't right or fair!

I am writing this today not only to vent my frustration and sadness, but also in hope that maybe some positive thoughts and prayers for J may help to make her fight that much easier. I know 'likes' on FB don't cure diseases (To be honest, I kind of can't stand those posts), but I think positivity has never hurt anyone. So today I am trying my best to send good vibes all the way to Minnesota, maybe you can join me. I know J is getting ready for battle, putting on her mouth guard and boxing gloves- maybe we can all be ready in her corner with an ice pack and some water. Keep your chin up J! We are here to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment