Saturday 19 January 2013

Thank goodness for support!

Morning blood sugar: 4.8 (even with a reduction last night! crazy.)
Episodes of LBS today: None! Yippee!
"C's" mood today: he head butted a handle on a drawer this morning :( He now looks a bit like a unicorn with a bump between his eyebrows (heehee). Still appears in good spirits though. Was ready for a nap at 1pm today (what I mean by this is he was crying at the drop of a hat over things like me putting the playdough away)
Donations today: 1 from my great neighbours! :) And another inquiry about how to donate from a wonderful friend in Winnipeg. Good day!
Workout today: Crosstraining with plyometrics-upper body weights, squats, lunges, pushups x 30minutes (A Les Mills Combat special! See www.teambeachbody.com)
Clean eating: Saturdays I try and relax a little and treat myself....breakfast was a green smoothie with a cinnamon raisin bagel. I love bagels but they are carb bombs and unless you are exercising a lot they tend to skyrocket your blood sugar. Thankfully for me I have been exercising a lot, so a nice treat!

So I am feeling a bit tired today but infinitely better than the previous 3 days. I took a look at my log book and in those 3 days I had a total of 6 lows. Boo, that stinks. Yesterday I was feeling quite frustrated as I had made adjustments to my insulin (reduced it quite a bit) and took the day off exercise and still ended up with a couple of lows, one being in the afternoon after a nap. The low actually got me up because I was feeling so weird. I downed some jelly beans and even ate a Cadbury cream egg Jeff had brought home (delicious, but sinful) and was still sitting at only 6.4 after this!

So I talked to Jeff and he encouraged me to call either my doctor or the nurse at the Diabetic Education Center here in town. I am very lucky to live in a place where I have access to such a center, even more lucky that the nurse on staff, Margaret, is fantastic and very good at her job. I emailed her my concerns at 10 to 3 in the afternoon on a Friday without much hope of hearing back. Within 30 minutes she had written me back with a handful of suggestions on what to do. Awesome!

Our health care system takes a lot of knocks, and I am by no means saying there are not some major flaws in it, but this is an instance where I have nothing but positive things to say about the support I have received. When I was first diagnosed Margaret even provided me with her personal cell phone number in case I needed help. Sure enough 2 weeks after I started insulin injections I came down with the stomach flu and could only keep down apple juice. I cringed as I dialed her number, knowing that she was currently on holidays. I didn't know what else to do, and of course it was 9pm at night. Not only did she answer, she proceeded to speak to me for 15 minutes on how to manage. When I met up with her later in the month at the clinic she told me she would rather work for 15 minutes on her holiday than have me end up in the hospital. My kind of health care practitioner!

What I have realized is this new training program that I have started in the last 10 days has greatly changed my system metabolically. This week I completed 19kms of running total. Even though I have been completing workouts regularly for the past 4 months, adding that kind of mileage (kilometerage? :)) is definitely making me more insulin sensitive. Also adding to the mix is I am trying to run at a faster pace than previously which is increasing the intensity of the workouts as well.

So here is hoping for a 'low' free day, to continuing to adapt as necessary, and to having great technical support. I see Margaret again this Tuesday for a follow up and insulin pump education. Thank goodness!

Carb bombs-I mean bagels


No comments:

Post a Comment