Tuesday 15 January 2013

Frustration nation-thank goodness for endorphins

Morning blood sugar today: 5.0 (right on target)
Low blood sugar episodes today: 1 (see below for the whole story)
"C's" mood today: opinionated and slightly grumpy but was an awesome running partner today
Donations today: 1, from a distant cousin :) I have never even met them! Amazing!
Eating clean lunch: A twist on my go-to smoothie, omitted spinach for avocado, different but good. Can't believe how creamy the avocado gets!

 So I had a frustrating morning. My planned workout was a 5km run. I am sure I am not alone when I say that trying to run in January isn't always easy, even when you do live on Vancouver Island. Jeff had an appointment before work so if I was going to go out solo for my workout it was going to have to be no later than 7:45am so that I could be back in time to look after C before Jeff had to head out.

I gloriously got to sleep in until 7:25 as my little man decided to sleep in as well. Jeff "the fitness machine" was up at 6 for a workout while the rest of the house was comatose. When I looked out the window at 7:30 it was still dark. 'Uggh' was my first thought. My second thought was that if I was going to spend time with my husband today the only opportunity was over breakfast as Jeff would be gone all day to work and he works late Tuesdays. So I decided to eat breakfast with him and do my run down at the waterfront  by mid-morning with dog, stroller, and C in tow.

I love to run at the waterfront, it is beautiful! There are also people around to help motivate me compared to the nearly deserted trail we have down by our house. Also working in its' favor is that it is flat which is hard to come by in this city. I am not against hills but when you are pushing a 30 lb kid in a stroller I am going to opt for flat!

Needless to say packing up a dog, a 1year old, and a diabetic to drive 10 minutes to the water doesn't exactly take 1 second. By the time I packed up the stroller, the dog, the dog crate, snacks for both the 1 year old and diabetic, emergency jelly beans, water, poo bags and got both the 1 year old and diabetic dressed I was seeing spots. I tested and sure enough a 3.0. When you have low blood sugar it means one of two things-1) you took too much insulin, 2) you didn't eat enough. Currently I take 1 unit of insulin for every 20grams of carbs. This morning I ate 45 grams of carbs according to my calculation and I took only 1 unit of insulin-when you plan to exercise you are suppose to reduce your insulin by 50%, which I did! So what the heck was this 3.0! Ask my endocrin system because I have no idea.

So my first thought after reading the result was "oh crap!" my second thought was "this disease is crap!" So I ate my 8 jelly beans, gave 1 to C to keep him happy and sat in the car on my driveway for 15 minutes until I started to feel better. By the time we arrived at the waterfront I was still feeling a bit shaky and had a mild thumping in my head; pretty much the last thing I felt like doing was running.

In true "Jeff tough" fashion, I ate a few more jelly beans and set out on my run. What I mean by "Jeff tough" is that my husband is no suck-he is a prairie farm kid and he doesn't let a lot get to him. He often sucks it up and moves on without blinking an eye. He often calls me a princess but I think those that know me know that I am really only mildly sucky; he is just so far to the other extreme that relatively speaking I am a suck. :) Anyways, back to my story....

So today instead of letting my LBS ruin my day I took a page from my husband's play book and moved on. And I am glad I did. The run wasn't my finest 30 minutes, with stopping for numerous dog bathroom breaks, but I sure felt better afterwards. Nothing like that nice endorphin boost after finishing a work out to lift you out of your funk. It also helped to hear a woman with a walking group look me up and down while I was running and say "now there is a fit mom!" Yes, I am a fit mom! It is hard work and it often comes with frustration but here I am!

P.S. To my mom who has likely just read this, please don't worry. I know I had another low, but I can't let these stop me from living my life. I would never proceed to exercise or even drive for that matter if I felt that I wasn't being unsafe. You know as well as I do sometimes you can do everything right and your readings are still weird and unpredictable. That is just the way this stupid disease is! Love you, and thank you for worrying but please don't. xo A 

Post-run lunch-half a bagel and an avocado smoothie




One of us felt invigorated after the 5km, one of us was fatigued


Post-run coffee stop-what is a run without a treat after?

No comments:

Post a Comment