Friday 4 January 2013

New Year, new journey, new blog!

Under the advice of a good friend (thanks Sar), I have decided to start a new blog to kick off the new year. Considering I am not a very technically oriented person, this feels like a big step. But here it goes....

Of course in true Type A fashion I have contemplated now for the last week what I should say, how to perfectly word my entries, and how perfect everything will look. Sometimes it is truly exhausting being of this personality type! So in turning over a new leaf, instead of thinking about perfection and not writing anything in the process I am going to jump in here with both feet, flaws and all. Sorry to anyone who finds this boring or imperfect but this isn't just for you it is for me as well. :)

I've decided to start this blog because I feel like this will be a nice way to share my story in 2013. I have a lot going on at the moment and I think this will be a great outlet to vent frustrations, inform the people I care about, and maybe have a laugh at myself once in a while.

Here is my to do list for 2013:
1. Raise an awesome toddler
 "C'' will be 2 in March 2013. He is a fabulous little man, with a smile that can melt a thousand hearts. He has just started to find his independence these days so "no" is a commonly used word around the house these days. He is the love of my life, along with my husband Jeff of course, and he is very entertaining. At lunch today, I put on some music and he was copying my dance moves! Ha!



2. Eat healthy, stay lean, and manage my disease as best as I can
If you missed the title of the blog, I am a Type 1 diabetic-diagnosed July 2012. Yes that was only 5 months ago and sometimes I forget this. Thankfully I am feeling much better these days compared to last summer when I had blurred vision and felt exhausted all the time. But it is an ongoing process to manage everything that is for sure. There is no perfect management of my disease and this in itself has been a big learning curve for me.


3. Raise $6,500.00 for the Canadian Diabetic Association (hopefully by July 2013)
As you can see from the above this association is important to me. I have signed up to complete this fundraising initiative with Team Diabetes. This section of the CDA helps people to run marathons all over North America and Internationally. If I manage to raise the funds I will be participating in the half marathon in Iceland (see #4).
www.teamdiabetes.ca

4. Run the half marathon in Reykjavik Iceland August 24, 2013 in under 2 hours 
This will be my 6th half marathon. The fastest I have ever completed one is 2:08, the slowest was this past October at 2:15 but considering all that has happened since the summer I was happy to just be there with my runners on.

5. Don't forget about Jeff
Jeff is my wonderful husband of 6 years. He is fit and fabulous so he understands my goals for the year. But I am very much aware that I have a lot on my plate currently and need to make sure that I make time for him and for our marriage in general.

Well that is all for now. A decent start to a big journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment