Sunday 6 January 2013

The Eating Clean Machine

Morning blood sugar: 4.8
Episodes of low blood sugar today: none! Woot woot...only 3pm though
"C's mood: fantabulous :) what a guy
Donations today: 1 pseudo-donation...I ran into my wonderful neighbor who told me she plans to donate once the holiday bills are paid. Totally understandable and super fabulous of her to offer a donation. I just don't tend to count those donations that are "'coming soon" just so I don't get ahead of myself!
Workout completed this morning: 'Combat 30', Les Mills Combat (cardio, kickboxing stuff) and an hour-long walk by the waterfront with my dog Liz, C, and Jeff


I woke this morning to the pitter patter of steps on the hardwood. Jeff jumped on the bed and told me "the NHL is back!" it was like Christmas morning for him! Too bad it was 6:42am. I admire Jeff's enthusiasm for life, his passion for hockey and his ability to jump out of bed in the morning, even if it was 6am. By the time he shared his exciting news, he had likely been up for a while, checking email, watching some TV and having a pre-workout snack. I am not a morning person but thankfully his love of mornings has rubbed off on me a little bit in the 10 years we have been together, so I am no longer the scary beast I once was in the morning (at least I think I have come a long way, ask my sister!). :)

One of the things that helps me get up in the morning is my love of breakfast. I love it so much that I plan it the night before, when I am lying in bed. Yes, I think about what I am going to eat for that wonderful morning meal. I made a deal with Jeff in the last week of December that we would purge all the junk, candy and chocolate from our house and start the year with some clean eating. I have to say I feel way better in the last few days just eating more fruits and veggies and less starch. And fancy that, my blood sugars have been better (you're kidding! Nope.).

Breakfast was a smoothie with milk, banana, 1 scoop of chocolate Shakeology (like protein powder but with no artificial stuff in it, and probiotics added), and a handful of spinach. I had a piece of whole grain toast with some almond butter on the side. It was delicious! Smoothies are fantastic and the best part is I share them with C....he has no idea how healthy they are, and I love that!  He loves to eat too but lately has been a bit picky with the fruits and vegetables. Love it when I find something healthy that he will eat, no questions asked!

For dinner tonight I planned to make a soup out of the "Eat Clean Diet" book we had in our cupboard from about 2 years ago. "Roasted Garlic and Sweet Potato Soup" is on the menu for tonight...I made it ahead as it involves roasting the potatoes and garlic in the oven for 45 minutes prior to assembling the soup. Jeff (bless him) got the groceries this weekend and he came home with 2 sweet potatoes....the recipe called for 6 but the ones he found are massive! I took pictures because that is the only way to do them justice. To cut them up for roasting was a sight in itself, my hand was raw after pressing on the knife, and C was grunting next to me watching me hack through these massive hunks of starch....I must have been making faces of distress, hence the grunting from my son! Anyhoo, got the job done and the soup is currently simmering in the crock pot, and from the small taste I had, I am now counting the hours until dinner time! Happy football watching day everyone! And here is to eating clean and feeling great!

Massive sweet potatoes and cookbook


my damaged hand..can you see the red lines from the knife?


Liz, relaxing after her walk, watching NFL playoffs

No comments:

Post a Comment