Tuesday 22 January 2013

Exercise addict

Morning blood sugar: 5.4
Episodes of low blood sugar: None today! Yippee! (it's 2:30pm)
"C's" mood today: very opinionated but likes to hug and eat tomato soup (a fine balance)
Donations today: Haven't checked my events page today, so not sure (www.teamdiabetes.ca)
Clean eating: Does tomato soup count? I guess not from a can, which is what I fed my toddler today...we had whole grain crackers, low fat cheese, and apple slices with it so I think we deserve a B+ :)
Workout today: I completed 50 minutes of upper and lower body weights with a Jillian Michaels DVD this morning (www.jillianmichaels.com) and 4km on the treadmill this afternoon (see below for more details).

It's official, I'm an addict. Caffeine? No. Junk Food? No. Wine? Sadly, no. It's exercise. I am addicted to exercise. I have always been active; As a kid I was involved in softball, badminton, and a handful of school sports. In University I was a regular at the gym (Gritty Grotto anyone? www.umanitoba.ca), weights, the bike, the treadmill, whatever I felt like doing that particular day. And then it happened....I met and later married an exercise addict. As I have stated in previous posts, my husband Jeff is fit and fabulous. He is this way because he is addicted to exercise.

Jeff, as most people do, put on weight in the early years of University. He began running and eating right midway through his degree, and fancy that, the weight started to melt off. Since then he has kept the weight off (and gained a whole lot of muscle) by exercising religiously everyday. We are talkin' even with a newborn, he would take C down to our basement in the mornings and blast out an hour long workout while I tried to get some sleep.

My diagnosis as a Type 1 has really changed the way I feel about exercise. It helps me lower my blood sugars and keep them more level. This in turn helps me to need far less insulin. Talk about incentive to get the gym clothes on!

I have reached an all time low of addiction today though-I worked out not once but twice. Jeff and I decided to rent a treadmill for the next month; this will help me to get a few extra runs in while looking after C (I can run like I did today while he naps in the afternoon). I had an appointment today midmorning and Jeff wasn't able to pick up the treadmill until later in the morning. Wanting to get my workout completed first thing this morning, I decided to do one of our fitness DVDs.

When I returned home, there the treadmill was, looking fantastic in our basement, and conveniently located in front of the TV. My thought was," My training schedule did say to do 4km today..."   So I reduced my lunch time insulin, tucked C into bed for a nap, and onto the treadmill I went. I couldn't help myself! It was like it was calling my name.

I know, I know, crazy, right? I truly can step back and see that this is a little bit nuts. Admitting there is a problem is the first step though... :) I promise, I won't do this everyday. In fact, doing this on a regular basis is likely playing with fire. You know the saying "too much of a good thing, really isn't a good thing" kind of like "mo' money, mo' problems" (I have not experienced the latter). What I mean is exercising more than I account for can lead to more lows and feeling terrible which I would most certainly like to avoid. So here is to eating some extra carbs this afternoon (the complex ones of course), and christening the new treadmill, and sticking with one workout a day for at least the next week! Happy Tuesday everyone!



Like my socks? Yes, I have jumped on the compression bandwagon!


The enabler-handing me my running shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment