Friday 11 January 2013

Let the training begin!



Morning blood sugar: 5.0
Episodes of Low blood sugar today: 2 (boo!) 1 was at work, nothing like consuming skittles at 8:30 am :) the other was after a run-my bad should've had a post-run snack ready!
C's” mood today: a little lethargic from his chest cold, but still giggly. Thank goodness for that giggle!
Donations today: none (that's ok, it really has been a great week for that already)
Clean eating confession: had cereal for lunch, not a really bad kind but not the no sugar kind :( Ended up with a 13.5 in the afternoon as a result. Boo, I miss eating copious amounts of cereal. Good news is I didn't feel bad as a result. And in my defence I was busy getting C down for a good rest and hence the hasty lunch.


So I attended my first Running Clinic session tonight. I have signed up for the Half Marathon Clinic with the Running Room Store here in town. What this means is I will spend the next 17 Thursday evenings at 6pm meeting a group of people to complete training runs with; all of the participants will be completing Half or Full Marathons in 5-6 months. What a concept! I can't believe I have managed to complete 5 half marathons and have never before taken advantage of a program like this. I think this will be great! To top it off, I sat down and one of my great girlfriends walked in; we use to work together but now I don't see her as much. So now I also get to socialize with someone great once a week. Bonus!

I consulted neighbours and clients before signing up to see which clinic they found to be the most well rounded. I live in a small city, but there are a few places that offer these clinics. The reviews for the Running Room were that they were “very welcoming, inclusive and supportive.” Well from the reception I got tonight I think I chose wisely. We spoke mostly tonight about goals and arranging training plans and completed the evening with a nice short and sweet 3k. I proceeded to tell a room full of people my pace goal for the Iceland Half Marathon; no going back now I guess. To solidify it even more I am going to write it here as well. My goal is to finish in 1:59.59...anything under 2 hours please and thank you! That is a full 15 minutes faster than my last one, but I have to remind myself that I ran Victoria with less than ideal training, and oh right, was diagnosed with an incurable disease in the middle of training. But I digress. Now there is really no going back. Iceland or bust people! Go hard or go home! :) Time to get serious about training.

But first some shopping is needed. Apparently I need some high performance gear. Jeff and I often make jokes about people and their high performance gear (check out www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.com online, (thanks Jennie!) for sharing this website years ago). Needless to say I felt a bit inadequate sitting there tonight in my Costco yoga pants and my Warehouse One Sweatshirt (yes, Warehouse One, no, this isn't 1990, I swear I bought it last year). Good timing for me as Jeff has been begging to go down to the States for some shopping for months now, and we just happen to be heading down to Seattle as I write this. So here is to lacing up some (maybe new?) shoes Sunday once we are back home.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment