Wednesday 22 January 2014

Nutmeg with a side of nutmeg

Morning blood sugar: holding steady at 5.3
Episodes of low blood sugar today: none
C's mood today: moments of sass with moments of sharing and kindness- a manageable balance
Clean eating today: oatmeal with protein powder, 1 tsp. natural PB, some almond milk and black coffee. For more info on my dinner tonight keep reading...
Workout today: 10 km on the treadmill 

Tonight I was on dinner duty. It is Wednesday, which means it has now been a good 4 days since I have set foot in the grocery store. When you attempt to 'eat clean' this time of the week is when you often start to run low on a number of fresh options in the fridge. I am really trying to become good at using up and eating what I buy 1- because groceries are hella expensive these days and 2- going to the grocery store more than once a week with your two year old is simply something to be avoided if you can; it can be stressful to go to the store, and also I would much rather spend time with my son at the park and not sweating it out in the grocery store.
I had a great plan for dinner- I was going to make a dinner of mini quiche with the imitation crab and phyllo pastry I had in the freezer and the spinach I had in the fridge that was on the verge of going soggy.
All was going well.I got the pastry cut and placed in muffin tins, the spinach and crab were on the stovetop with onions and olive oil. I go to shake a sprinkle of nutmeg into the spinach mixture and the wholly top on the spice jar comes off and with it 2 tablespoons of nutmeg into my crab and spinach! I try to scrape out what I can but a lot has fallen in between pieces of spinach. I press on hoping that maybe a lot of nutmeg will taste good? I even think "maybe this will be a great discovery! Maybe a ton of nutmeg will taste delicious?" 
Wrong. Bitter and horrible. My husband, who rarely complains ( because let's face it, I'm a type A who rarely strays from a recipe) likens the meal to reminding him of diesel fuel (? In taste or smell? I'm hoping in smell!). I don't consider myself too picky either but the taste was so strong I threw out my 'planned'leftovers (Jeff insisted he would eat his. He is being kind, and I certainly won't be insulted if I find a receipt for a bought lunch tomorrow with his things). Nutmeg with a side of nutmeg anyone? I'll pass! Hmmph!
They don't look bad but this is deceiving!! This dish should be called "Nutmeg overload"

No comments:

Post a Comment