Saturday 18 January 2014

Crossing to the dark side

Morning blood sugar: 4.1 (cutting it close-changed my pod moments before bed, but this close call is more likely due to my 6.5km speedworkout earlier in the day, on Friday)
Episodes of Low Blood Sugar today: I can't be totally certain, because I didn't pull out my blood glucose monitor in the middle of the grocery store, but as I was putting my groceries onto the belt at the checkout my head started to feel like it weighed 100 lbs. And the world was spinning a bit, like when you have one too many glasses of wine. This was happening at the 'dicey' time of grocery shopping, as every parent knows- THE CHECKOUT. Typically by this point in your shopping your kid has had enough of sitting in the cart, it is lunch time, you are both hungry, and you are trying to keep them occupied. Truth: I had the cashier scan a bag of 'Goldfish crackers' and ripped them open for C while I took 2 Glucose tabs (ie. chalk disguised with fast acting sugar in them) so that I didn't pass out before I could pull out my Visa. After eating the tablets and downing half of the top of the ginormous muffin I had purchased for C and I for a 'Saturday treat' I measured a 6.4 back at the car. Phew.
C's mood today: Pretty fabulous. Took him to the park, he helped clean the bathrooms at home (he likes the spray bottle I have for vinegar, what can I say? And kids need to learn to clean, right? A teaching activity right there. Haha. No meltdowns today. There has definitely been 'testing' as in, it took 3 extra slides to get him to leave the park, and some bribes with snacks (see above) but overall a successful day with my 'almost 3' year old. Woot woot.
Workout Today: 16 km Long Slow Distance Run-at the crack of dawn this morning. Yawn!
Clean Eating Menu Today:Well if you read the above you will know I indulged in a huge, store- bought muffin for lunch-a carb bomb in many ways. I ate only the 'muffin top' as this thing was seriously huge. It was a "West Coast Trail Muffin" so it had some good things in it like nuts, pumpkin seeds, and grated carrot. I can't say that it didn't taste like an indulgence, because it sure did. There was certainly some 'white crack' in it (ie. Sugar)- ok lots of white crack. And this presented itself afterwards with a feeling of wooziness and heartburn. Ugh-treats use to be fun. Now my body is a well oiled machine. It's like putting regular gas in your fancy sports car instead of premium-just shouldn't be done. :( On a positive note: breakfast was a recovery Vanilla Isagenix shake, a piece of whole grain toast with 1 tsp natural PB, and half a sliced banana, 1/2 a grapefruit with some coffee straight from my wonderful Lime Green Bodum/French Press that my husband bought me for Christmas. Delicious! And I didn't feel sick after.

I can't believe it has been over a month since my last entry. Man life is busy and going by fast. I am trying to take a page from my beautiful friend Allison. She recently got her own blog up and running and I thoroughly enjoy it; she is expecting her first babe any day now, in fact, she might be in labor as I write this! Good luck AB! Anyways, sometimes her entries are long, sometimes they are just a simple picture. Either way-I like following it and look forward to more of it. So I have decided I need to post more-even if it just a picture or recipe or quote. I miss writing when I don't do it, but sometimes an entry feels overwhelming before I have begun.

It's official, I have crossed over to the dark side. This is for 2 reasons:
1) I am currently training for my first full marathon
I am registered and attempting to complete the Vancouver Marathon This is mileage (kilometerage?) like I have never seen before-it is week 3 of training and my weekly mileage is already at 38km. Wow. No wonder they call it 'the dark side'. Jeff and I discussed me signing up a while ago. Sometime during this discussion I told him about marathons and ultramarathons held in extreme climates-there is one marathon that is in fact run through Churchill, Manitoba, where the article I read about it stated runners 'have to be vigilant for roaming polar bears' (!!!!!????). After telling Jeff about this I recall saying "who would be crazy enough to want to do that?" To which my husband said "I think you have to be a little crazy to want to do a FULL marathon". Yup, that's me. C-R-A-Z-Y
2) I think I am now officially a morning person now.
I was up this morning at 4:50am. The dog got me up, she needed to use the 'facilities'. But truthfully my alarm was set for 4:55am. I have been trying to do my long runs on Saturday morning before my husband goes to work. One reason being, it is nice to get it done and the second reason being to not have it interfere with our weekend as a family. I do realize this is absolutely extreme. The weird thing is I heard the dog at 4:50am and I woke feeling well rested and alert. Who am I? As a teenager my mom and sister hated waking me in the morning before school because I was a serious bear. The family dog would eventually be sent in-I guess I would taper my wrath for something with a furry body and cold nose. :) You know you are on the dark side when even telling people you were up at 4:50am seems like a ludicrous thing to tell people. Yup, it's official. The crazier thing is, that when I am up early I feel amazing!
This was me this morning! Haha not really, but kinda

The old me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment