Sunday 19 January 2014

Namastes & Nachos

Morning blood sugar: 5.4 (Capital P-perfect! The ideal waking blood sugar is between 4.6-5.6. The Type A in me is all proud when I am within range, when in reality I am quite aware sometimes you can do everything right and still have weird numbers. Anyhoo, I'll relish my 'perfect score' anyways :)
Episodes of Low Blood Sugar today: None! Hooray :)
C's Mood today: Good. Napping currently :)
Clean Eating today: Protein Pancakes for breakfast with berries and a latte. It's Conference Championship day today in the NFL so we had a fun lunch of 'Healthy Nachos'. I know what you are thinking, how are nachos healthy? Or how can you make them healthy for that matter? Well, I tried my best and used blue corn organic chips, low fat cheese (easy on the cheese! Even though it is so yummy!), lots of veggies including bell peppers, black olives, tomatoes, and we used Yves Ground Round instead of ground beef. For toppings-spicy salsa. So good!  For a beverage I had lots of water and (gulp!) a beer. A treat for sure!
Workout today: A rest day from running, so Jeff and I did 1 hour of Power Yoga with Rodney Yee.

I have a new found love in my training routine: Regular Yoga. I know there are Marathon training programs out there that have you running 5-6 days per week, but for me that simply doesn't work for my body. My joints need a break and I need some time to work on strength and flexibility. I got the idea to incorporate more Yoga into my training from my lovely co-worker, Megan. She finished her first FULL marathon last October. At the time she was training for her race, I was training for Iceland. We would often compare notes on the workouts we had completed, or were going to complete, and I noticed sometimes if she was tired, or just in need of a break from the grind of running, she would say to me, "I'm not doing that today, I'm going to Yoga." She finished her race in a great time, and more importantly felt great during her race, so it is my hope that more Yoga will do the same for me. Here's hoping Megan is on to something, right? It's worked before so why not?

I know it is not quite the same, doing a Yoga DVD at home versus going to a class. In fact when C was a newborn, the few outings I got take solo often included a Yoga class, which was fabulously therapeutic in that post-partum period. Currently, it just works better for me to workout at home-Yoga sessions included. So these days I usually practice Yoga, as I did this morning, with PBS kids playing in the background. Jeff and I followed Rodney, while C watched 'Peg plus Cat' and 'Dinosaur Train'. It works for us, and it felt great. Namaste.
Trying to get both kid and dog in a picture. Just breathe.
Furry baby with C in his superhero PJs in the background


Not every husband can do this, am I right? :)



2 comments:

  1. AWWWW I made it in the blog!!!! how sweet ;) Slash I would love to know your protein pancake recipe!!!!! apparently you can use "flax egg" (flax and water) instead of real eggs to make non vegan baking into vegan baking! WAHOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan! Of course you made the blog, you are such a good influence :)
      My protein pancake recipe is listed in an earlier post from July 2013 titled "Terrible Tuesday-not really" check it out, they are so good! Glad you know a vegan alternative as well! :)

      Delete