Tuesday 21 January 2014

A Diabetic's Dream-Homemade Protein Bars

Morning blood sugar: 5.3 :)
Episodes of low blood sugar today: None :)
C's mood today: He remains a lovely boy but is really 'testing' the bedtime thing these days. Some days (like last night) it is fairly easy, sometimes it is tough. Jeff and I have tried a lot of things-we lie down with him, we read an extra book, we give lots of warnings "in five minutes, we will turn out the light..." Tonight was tough because it ended with him crying and asking us to stay, even though it was way past when he should have been asleep. This was after we gave him lots of chances to settle down....so the long and the short of it is, we left him to go to sleep on his own, which meant some crying and calling for "Mommy!" and "Daddy'' Rip my heart out and stomp on it? Yes please.
Clean Eating today: Jeff was very nice and made dinner. In fact he made dinner for himself, C and myself, and my parents who I picked up from the local airport just before dinnertime; they were away visiting my sister and her family. He made baked chicken drumsticks (marinated in some olive oil, spices and BBQ sauce), brown rice, veggies, and I made a salad for the side. Jeff gets sick of salad, which I understand, I eat it a lot-it fills me up and is awesome for blood sugar! But I am a bit obsessed with having lots of veggies these days-so I wasn't going to ask him to make me a salad on top of what he had already made. :) Everything was delicious!
Workout today: 6km Tempo run on the treadmill first thing this morning.

I'm posting a recipe today for all to enjoy. One of the things I absolutely love to make these days are homemade protein bars. Prior to my diagnosis, I use to eat a lot of store bought protein bars-they certainly keep you satisfied more than say a regular granola bar (due to the nice balance of carbs and protein) but unfortunately, even though a lot of them are 'not that bad' in the carb count department they are carb bombs disguised in wolfs' clothing (if you know what I mean)-not the best for blood sugar. They tend to put me up, which was initially so frustrating. So, glad to say I have found a great alternative!

No Bake Chocolate Coconut Protein Bars
originally in Oxygen Magazine-modified by yours truly :)

2 cups large flake oats
4 scoops vanilla or chocolate protein powder (I use high quality New Zealand whey for it's known limitation of additives and other nasties)
1 1/2 Tbsps cocoa powder
1/4 coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup fresh shredded unsweetened coconut 
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsps mini chocolate chips (2 Tbsps go a long way! At least when you are Diabetic :)
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Mix all ingredients together. If sticky, you can add more oats or coconut. Place paper muffin liners into 9 muffin cups-take approx. 1/3 cup per bar and squish (yes, that's a technical term) into each liner, attempting to make 9 equal bars (don't worry, some will end up a bit smaller, some a bit bigger. Nobody's perfect!). Place in the freezer and set for 15 minutes. Once set, wrap liner and bar in plastic wrap and store in the fridge to grab and go! Because who doesn't need some convenience in their lives??!!
Hope you love them as much as I do. They truly are a Diabetic's dream-a great snack or sweet treat when you are in need, without the junk and nasty high blood sugar that frankly nobody wants!



No comments:

Post a Comment