Saturday 29 March 2014

Mind Games

Morning blood sugar: 5.4 a little low considering I preset my pump overnight for my run this morning-I guess I took too much insulin with my evening snack.
Episodes of low blood sugar today: none, it is 8:50 in the morning. Quite proud to say I started my run at 5.4 and finished at 5.3, pretty darn steady blood sugar!
C's mood today: love, love, love! Coming home to his smiling face and "Mommy" when I opened the door to come in after my run- I left when he was still sleeping. Nothing makes you forget your frustrations like a toddlers enthusiasm for life! :)
Workout today: just finished one soggy 23 km- Long slow distance run (ie. your pace is actually slower than your race pace to make your body adapt to long periods of time on your feet.
Clean eating today: i dreamt of what I would eat for breakfast for a good portion of the run- 1 piece of squirrelly bread with natural PB, 2 medium cooked eggs, half a grapefruit and huge cup of HOT coffee, yum! 

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”

23km in the rain this morning. It wasn't suppose to rain but it rained the whole time. All 2 hours and 33 minutes. Thankfully just as I was starting the rain was a light drizzle- when I first woke up the rain was so heavy you could hear it on the roof. I thought about staying home  and leaving it to tomorrow, but on Vancouver Island, in March, there is no guarantee that tomorrow will be any less rainy. 
So what got me thru? A few things....
The feeling of disappointment if I didn't get it done: almost nothing outweighs the guilt (at least for me) of missing a scheduled workout. My body and my mind may feel a moment of relief when you give into your excuses, but that feeling of "I should have..." later= so not worth it!
Podcasts from iTunes: where would I be without podcasts?I listened to an hour and 20 minutes worth of inspirational podcasts  . Topics included 'getting organized', 'building relationships with others' and 'creating solid business relationships'- sounds a bit frou-frou I know but it really is good stuff and makes the time go faster when you are soaked and a little cold.
Music: into hour 2 I started listening to my playlist from Iceland. Some gems include Starships by Nicki Minaj (say what you want about her, she has some great songs to run to, and she swears with me while I am tackling he hills of Nanaimo!), Survivor by Christina Aguilera ( see blog entry entitled 'Happy Anniversary' from July 2013 for the story behind this song :)
Focusing on the mental strength today has given me: I am not gonna lie last night I was grumpy, tired and not looking forward to today. This training has been such a time commitment that I am starting to feel drained, but yet oh so close to race day. So instead of focusing on how mad I was about the rain, I focused my attention on the strength that it takes to get out in today's conditions. Marathon training has such a mental component to it; if today hasn't made me stronger, I don't know what will!
This is what 2 1/2 hours in the rain looks like. 
Wonder Woman was soggy too- but still smiling!






No comments:

Post a Comment