Sunday 2 March 2014

A couple of new obsessions

Morning blood sugar: 9.8 (Horrible fasting blood sugar level, I know. I woke in the middle of the night feeling extremely hungry. I was half asleep at 1:30 am, but knew I should probably get up and eat something-I am not going to lie, my girlfriend came over for dinner last night and we indulged in some wine. If I have a few drinks, I can typically end up low in the morning, or sometimes in the middle of the night.  I was feeling annoyed and lazy in the wee morning hours so proceeded to drink a glass of chocolate milk AND not test my blood sugar. Not the best choice...and I see this now with my morning reading)
Episodes of low blood sugar today: 1 (here is the nature of the beast with my disease-because I was a 9.8 this morning, I took a correction dose of insulin. I reduced the correction calculation so I wouldn't go low while I did an hour of yoga this morning. Well, I guess my reduced correction was still too much insulin as by the time I was making my way up the stairs after yoga I was seeing spots and feeling uncoordinated. I even had trouble chewing my gummy candies due to my lack of coordination-but I managed it. Proceeded to feel lousy for a while after too, ugh)
C's Mood today: He is currently being lovely. This morning was a different story-he was 'sassing' like crazy. Example: Me: "C" would you like some water?" C: "I SAID! I wanted JUICE!!!"
Geez! Sassafrass indeed! We are trying our best to keep him in check and let him know that 'sassing' is not a very pleasant way to act-a work in progress.
Clean eating today: Just finished a fantastic power smoothie-with spinach and raspberries (see recipe below)
Workout today: 60 minutes of Power Yoga with Rodney Yee  A great workout but challenging (wine 'heavy head' and all). Due to the weather turning not so great the last 2 days, I made sure to schedule my long run  (19km) on Friday. Thank goodness I did, it is cold and rainy today-not the kind of weather I want to run 19km in!

Phew! So tired these days. What day is it? Where am I? The days are flying and I often feel like there are not enough hours in the day. It has been almost a month since I have written (a month! Where has the time gone!) With frenzied days like this, one of my top priorities is to keep up with clean eating-it keeps me as energized as possible. When I eat right I sleep better, and when I sleep better I can still manage to get all of my workouts in. It is always wonderful when I find recipes that are healthy, taste delicious, and in some way feel (almost) dessert-like. I wanted to share 2 of my new favs lately:

Perfect Overnight Oats
Ingredients:
  1/3 cup oats
 1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
 1 tbsp plain greek yogurt
 1/2  mashed banana
  2 tsp chia seeds
 1 tsp. natural peanut butter
  1 scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder
  cinnamon
Directions- Mix it all up at nighttime and let it soak overnight! In the morning you end up with delicious rich oatmeal that you can eat cold or warm up quickly in the microwave (I usually nuke mine for 40 seconds and then add a splash of almond milk and a handful of blueberries)  You can change up with recipe with your favorite fruits, protein powders, etc! I got the basis of this recipe from Moon Fitness another blog site-she is a fitness competitor (which is a whole other level of clean eating/working out) and has some great ideas for clean eating. She has a GREAT overnight oats recipe using an almost empty jar of nut butter



Power Smoothie
3/4 unsweetened almond milk (as you can see, I use a lot of this, no carbs Mom, no carbs!)
large handful of fresh spinach
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 tbsp. hemp hearts
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder ( I use Kaizen Whey-no additives, no GMOs!)
1 tbsp plain greek yogurt
Directions: mix it all up in the blender and enjoy!

Hope you enjoy these as much as I do-and sorry if they don't really feel like dessert to you. My concept of dessert these days is very much skewed. But hey, if this recovering sweet tooth can be reformed, than believe me, so can anyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment