Friday 22 February 2013

Trying to find a silver lining in every situation

Morning blood sugar: 4.7
Episodes of low blood sugar today: none (high blood sugar yes, low blood sugar no)
'C's' mood today: Oh sassy as ever! Love this kid but this new phase of 'almost 2' is exhausting
Workout today: Scheduled rest day for training, completed a workout with Jeff- Bob Harper's Full Body Transformation- modified of course, light on the lunges and squats
Clean eating today: I made 'Thai Seafood Stew' from an older cookbook today 'The Complete Light Kitchen' by Rose Reisman- so good and I am proud to say that my son actually ate it. Well, he ate the broth....I am choosing my battles here. I saw this as a victory as it was something I made from scratch!

I have had a busy, exhausting week. The good thing is, it has been a tiring week, but overall a good week. Not too many lows, survived 4 days of work this week covering for my colleague who is on holidays, managed my household (kept it tidy, cooked meals), got my workouts in, and managed to be pleasant ( I think) to my husband and son.

The last 24 hours have not been my finest however. But as the title suggests, I am trying my best to find that silver lining and stay positive. At the very least, not crumble under pressure.

1- To be honest, this felt like an epic fail

Thursday nights for the past 6 weeks I have been participating in a Half Marathon Clinic with my local Running Room store www.runningroom.com It has been fantastic support. It has helped me tremendously pay more attention to pacing, have more consistent training, and I am hoping in the long run will help me run faster and avoid injury.

Unfortunately for my husband, these Thursday evening sessions have provided some increased stress on him. He works as a Finance Manager at a local car dealership-not the type of job where you punch a clock, but where you are often expected to stay until the last customer is out the door. To make a long story short, I ended up having to drive to the store with C, as Jeff was running late getting out of work. The plan was to meet Jeff at the store, give him C, so that they could both go home while I completed my workout.

To be honest, I feel that becoming a mom has made me more frazzled ( I am sure I am not the only one here). It gets better with every month, it seems, but last night, I have to say I was frazzled. I was rushing to eat something before I left, I was rushing to get my running gear on, I was rushing when I took my insulin, and by the time Jeff pulled up to pick up C, I was rushing after my running group.

I ended up having to join a group that was a tad faster than what I was use to. We were going to do a 3 km warm up, following which I would be able to meet up with my normal pace group. The workout was suppose to include some dynamics (butt kickers, high knees, leg swings) followed by hills, followed by a cool down of 3 km back to the store.

Things went haywire for me as I finished the 3 km warm up. We joined the rest of the groups, and by this time I was seeing spots. Not good-low blood sugar symptoms :( I quickly downed the gummies I had in my pocket, but after a few minutes was so worried about passing out in front of this whole group of people that I left. I started walking back to the store, where my car was; and of course where I had more gummies.

I screwed up. I took too much insulin with my pre-workout meal, was supposed to eat some carbs before I left the store and forgot, and ended up feeling terrible. I was certainly feeling sorry for myself during my walk back. After a few minutes, feeling sorry for myself got old, and I decided to try and make a plan B. I would walk back to my car, have some gummies, stop at the wine store for a nice bottle of wine, do a hill workout close to home, and toast my failed night with said wine. Which is what I did. Silver lining? The wine tasted good. :)

2-It gets better

I recovered from my not-so-great Thursday night. Or so I thought. I woke up Friday morning to the sound of my son babbling, so cute! He had slept in too, until 7. Glorious 7 am. We got up, had a workout, had breakfast, made a grocery list, and got dressed to go out for our Friday errands. Jeff needed to stop in at work to finish up a few things; the plan was for him to drop C and I off at the grocery store close to his work. We would get groceries, and he would meet up with us when he was done.

We had just pulled in to the grocery store parking lot, 20 minutes from home when I realized I had a headache. A high blood sugar headache to be exact. Then, the sick feeling of forgetfulness set in. I had completely forgotten to take my insulin this morning. How is this possible you say? I have no idea. The wine last night? Maybe. The fatigue of a week of more work and the same workouts? Also maybe. The fact that my lovely son squawked his way through breakfast, clean up, and getting dressed? Likely. I was frazzled, and I forgot. Not the first time these words have been uttered by a mother of  a toddler.

I'm still not really sure what the silver lining is here. The good news is I recovered for the rest of the day, and had good numbers. So I guess the silver lining is that things could have been worse. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment