Friday 15 February 2013

There is no such thing as perfect, part 1

Morning blood sugar: 5.5
Episodes of low blood sugar today: 2 :( 1 at 4:30 this morning, the other about 15 minutes ago
"C's" mood today: Energetic! He crashed on the way home from groceries before he had lunch; I'm guessing I am going to have a hungry boy on my hands once he wakes up! :)
Donations this week: 1 from a fellow Physio in Calgary, so nice of her!
Clean eating today: Jeff and I are going out for dinner, a day late for a Valentine's date. Making Charlie and his babysitters (my parents, thank you!) veggie soup with alphabet pasta.
Workout today: A rest day from running-did some yoga and weights this morning. Needed a stretch this morning after a hill workout with my running clinic last night-likely the cause of my 4:30 episode!

One of the things I have learned in the last 22 months of being a parent, and the last 7 months of being a Diabetic is there is no such thing as perfect. I have certainly had first hand experience of this over the last week.

On Tuesdays I am on mom duty, in other words I have the day off from being a physio and am the full time, 24-7 caretaker to my son. We had a good day together-I got a workout in, we got out to get some errands done, and had a nap. In the afternoon I thought it would be fun for C and I to make some Valentine's decorations. Of course being the Type A that I am, I imagined covering our front door with cut out hearts of all colors, made from construction paper, to look like candy hearts. We also had Valentines to fill out for C's friends at daycare.

Things started out well. I gave C some markers, and began by filling out the Valentines (these were the priority after all). C would take the markers and "sign'' them, ie. scribble, and I would fill out the friends names and "from C". We got those done in pretty good time, but I could tell, C was a bit tired of 'craft time' by the time I picked up the book of construction paper to pick out pinks and reds and purples and mint greens.

To make a long story short I managed to make two hearts before it was game over. The two that I did manage to cut out, C kept grabbing and I was concerned that he was going to rip them, so I kept taking them out of his hands, to which he would reply with a wail of disapproval. After five minutes of this tug-of-war I thought to myself 'what am I doing?' This was suppose to be a fun activity for C and I to do together, and neither of us were having fun anymore. So we stopped. No nicely decorated door, but Valentines completed. 1 out of 2 ain't bad. :)

This is all pretty funny when I look back on it now a few days later. 6 months to a year ago I would have lamented the fact that I didn't finish decorating, that I had failed. Today I think, there is no such thing as perfection.

Valentine's decorations started, this is all I got to


Messy kitchen table-I can never seem to keep it clean!


Veggie soup for C's dinner tonight


A rare afternoon cup-to all the non-coffee drinkers out there I salute you!

No comments:

Post a Comment