Saturday 2 February 2013

Retail Therapy

Morning blood sugar: 4.3
Episodes of low blood sugar: none (teetering on the edge though a few times; I have been popping Dex tablets 1 at a time throughout the day just to be safe. If you have never tasted a Dex tab think sweet tarts on steroids. They are pricey but work fast and are low calorie, unlike jelly beans :)
"C's" mood: pretty darn good!
Donations today: none, not many people seem to donate on weekends. They are busy spending their hard earned cash on fun things, which they should be!
Eating clean: homemade egg McMuffins. Saturdays I splurge a bit so there was bacon (real bacon) with our McMuffins, and the muffins were white, not whole wheat (sinful! ha, kidding, well kinda)
Workout: It was a rest day yesterday and I worked out anyways. I woke up this morning sore and almost low so I decided today was a good day to walk the dog and go the the park with C. I think a wise choice as 10km is on the schedule for tomorrow morning.

It is a beautiful day here on Vancouver Island. Sunny and 7 degrees with little to no wind. A perfect day to spend at the mall. Ha, just kidding. Well kind of kidding. I did get out this morning with the dog and C for a nice walk, and to check out the new play structure at the school 5 minutes away. I chased C around, walked the dog a bit, and decided that was enough exercise for me today.

If you are a parent you know that hitting the mall takes on a whole new meaning when you have a toddler. Gone are the days when you could stroll the aisles, window shop, and grab a latte in the food court. Well I guess you could still do those things if you wanted to do 2 things, 1-sedate your child, or 2-pull your hair out, while chasing your kid down the aisles, and spilling your latte down your shirt.

Yes, shopping with a toddler takes a plan and (almost) precise execution of said plan. On the drive up to the mall, I took a mental tally of the stores we needed to hit. You are typically allowed approximately 3-4 stores before your toddler will  A-need a snack or a meal, b-need a diaper change, or c- have a nuclear meltdown. So I decided we would hit the clothing store for C, the sports store for possible 9ers gear for Super Bowl Sunday (tomorrow!), and a larger box store for undershirts for Jeff and a baby shower gift that I need for next weekend.

The trip was a success. There were two blemishes in my execution when C could not be pulled away from the clearance toys outside of Winners (www.winners.ca)-I went into the store to grab a cart and attempted to whip it outside while still keeping an eye on my son. Apparently Winners has carts that will not leave the store; by this I mean these magnets come down onto the wheels like a parking boot and will not let you move-umm slightly embarrassing. I grabbed C, left the disabled cart in the doorway of the store, ignored the dirty look from the 20-something employee that had to unlock the disabled cart, kept my chin up, and stuffed my child into another cart. You live, you learn. The longer you have been a parent, the easier it becomes to just let these embarrassing moments become funny. I was chuckling as we walked into the men's department. :)

The 2nd blemish was when we went to check out gifts for the baby shower and I had a "how am I going to get C out of here" moment as he pulled toy after toy off the shelf. My salvation came in the clearance toy section-yes, I bribed my son out of the store by purchasing him 'Mega Farm' complete with farmer, barn and farm animals. I loved a similar toy when I was a kid, and let's face it paying $9.00 to leave the store with a happy toddler is well worth the price tag! In fact the toy doubled in value when we got home; kept C entirely amused while I made lunch, awesome.

I have to say, I have come a long way in the last few years. Today I had a great shopping trip and did not buy a single thing for myself! I shopped for the wonderful men in my life and it felt good. As we drove home I thought to myself, nothing like a little retail therapy on a beautiful day. This form of therapy is even better when you avoid toddler tantrums, and find great deals! Happy Saturday!

C's score-Mega Farm
Saturday afternoon nap with Liz



No comments:

Post a Comment