Tuesday 30 July 2013

The Terrible Tuesday-not really :)



Morning blood sugar: 5.9
Episodes of low blood sugar today: kind of feel a bit low at the moment, hang on, going to go and check.....yup 3.3mmol/l, oops! Took too much insulin with lunch apparently. Is it that I took too much insulin or is this a delayed low from my workout this morning? Delayed lows can happen up to 16 hours after an exercise session..... I also think that I likely didn't have enough breakfast.... As you can see there is no 'perfect management' of Diabetes-anyone who tells you there is, is a big liar (no offense). Oh well, moving on, hello glass of Ruby Red Grapefruit juice! Thank you for the fast acting carbohydrates you pack.
C's mood today: C is, what I like to call, "being 2" today. This involves running between the extremes of being extremely happy and extremely unhappy within the span of a few minutes. We had a great morning visiting the neighbors for a play date (we have awesome neighbors :). C was overall very pleasant, except for a few instances where he didn't want to share (he is 2, that is normal!). Came home for lunch only to have him cry through 80% of the meal-I think he was hot, tired and hungry- the perfect trifecta for a meltdown.  He is napping now, so hopefully he can recharge for the afternoon. :)
Workout this morning: 7km Tempo run on the treadmill (2 km warm up, 4 km 80% max effort, 1 km cool down)-it was sweaty and hot, but oh so satisfying to finish.
Eat clean menu today: Lunch was 3 protein pancakes with diet syrup and berries. Yum! I have posted the recipe below for all to enjoy. It is courtesy of Bill Phillips' Eating for Life cookbook. Bill appears to have had a bit too much plastic surgery recently (if you google him, you will know what I mean), but there are some great recipes in this book. I have been using it now for over 6 years-the pancakes are a great go to recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner! They also don't leave you hungry or give you that crash an hour after you have eaten them like some other pancakes.


The past few weeks I have been putting in some heavy mileage in preparation for my race in 4 weeks. This past Sunday I ran 18km, the Sunday before 20km, and the Sunday before that 18km. Along with my workouts throughout the week my calculations tell me that in the last 3 weeks I have averaged about 34km per week. Nothing to scoff at (unless you are a full Marathoner, then you are likely laughing at me right now). A few of my friends and acquaintances have said to me recently "I don't know how you do it"-or at times if I tell them how much I have been running lately they look at me blankly and I can tell they are thinking 'why would anyone want to do that'. I do it for many reasons-it's empowering, it gives you wickedly good fitness, etc.  But these comments in particular made me think of the adjustments I have had to make since becoming a mother, and of course a Diabetic. Yes, it isn't easy to run that much, whether you are single, married, a mother or not. Here are the top 5 things (I came up with) that Diabetic Half-Marathoning Mothers have to do that perhaps other runners don't:

1-You watch Sesame Street and Curious George while completing a treadmill workout
2-You have to hide your gummy 'Stingers' that you use during your workouts to maintain blood sugar because you may have (once or twice) used them to bribe your son into a-leaving the park, b-putting down a toy in the store, c-stopping a tantrum in its' tracks
3-You have to arrange childcare for 2 hours every Sunday morning so that you can complete your runs (Thank you Jeff-best babysitter ever!).
4-You methodically calculate how long you will be running before every workout, count how many grams of carbs you will need to replace, and pack extra gummies just in case your calculations are off so that you can here the word "Mummy!" when you open the door back at home
5-You wake up in the middle of a Saturday night to watch "The Secret World of Benjamin Bear" because your toddler can't sleep in the heat, and wonder if you are going to be able to get out of bed at 6am as planned for your long run

It's all worth it! That's all I can say. I am addicted to running, that's for sure. Here are a couple of recipes:

Protein Pancakes-By Bill Phillips
serves 4,  approximately 5g carbs per pancake 

2 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
1 cup egg whites (I use the ones in a carton)
2 cups fat free cottage cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Serve with berries and syrup ( I use diet syrup, of course)
Lightly coat a non-stick skillet/griddle with cooking spray. In a food processor (or blender), combine all ingredients, and blend until smooth. Pour batter 1/4 cup at a time onto a hot skillet. Cook pancake until bubbly on top and dry around edges, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook other side, about 2 minutes or until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
An actual photo of my lunch :)


Another good Diabetic friendly recipe I made recently is Chia seed jam. Super easy and delicious. I love the idea of homemade jam, but just the idea of buying something called 'pectin' makes my palms sweat. A neighbor brought over a ton of plums last week and they were so delicious! I didn't want them to go to waste and couldn't eat them fast enough; luckily I saw this posted on Facebook.

Homemade Chia Seed Jam
2 cups fresh fruit (I'm sure you could use frozen, I used fresh plums)
2 Tbsps. Chia seeds (I used black Chia seeds)
2 Tbsps. Honey (you could also use Splenda or Stevia, or something like that if you wanted)

Place all ingredients in a food processor, blend as you like -don't over mix (less if you like chunky jam, more if you like smooth jam). Place in a container and put in the fridge overnight-the Chia seeds make the fruit kind of gel-up overnight. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment