Saturday 27 July 2013

Happy Anniversary!



Today marks 1 year since my diagnosis. You would think it would be a dark day of remembering when my entire life changed forever, reliving what initially felt like a death sentence (and truthfully sometimes still does- not a death sentence, but certainly a life sentence). I remember that day fairly clearly- it was a day when I raced down to the walk-in clinic because I couldn't get in to see my family doctor. A day that I just couldn't wait another minute to find out why, for the last 4 days, I had blurred vision and couldn't see the kitchen clock from the dining room table like I always could. A day that I was seen by a doctor I had never met before, who opened my file and looked at my blood work results and said " so you're Diabetic?". My stunned response was " well, no". From what I can recall there was a pregnant pause of silence followed by a technical explanation of what my blood results said, followed by me melting into an emotional wreck ( ie. there were tears and what I like to call " cry talking" where you cry and try to talk at the same time- pretty sure this doctor had no idea what I was saying and likely was wishing it was professional to run from the room as fast as possible).
No, it was not a happy day in my life. No indeed. This was made worse by the fact that this walkin doctor had no idea what to do with the anomaly that sat in front of her. This 30 year old, Type 1 Diabetic- when 85-90% of Type ones are diagnosed before 20 years of age- so she sent me away to contact my family doctor, on a Friday morning in July. My blood sugar was 26.2.
Thankfully today is not a day to stay in bed and mourn the day my life changed forever,  today I am thankful for how strong this year has made me and for the blessings that surround me. Today I am thankful for:
1- My son: I am bias here, but Jeff and  I have created a beautiful human being. A son who has manners at 2 years old ("thank you mummy!" and " you're welcome"), who's smile can light up a room, and is growing bigger and stronger everyday. I love you C!
2- my husband Jeff-the other half of my team. I married a man whose work ethic never quits, who often misses dinners or goes to work early so that he can support me in staying home part time with my son. Jeff, I know what you do for us and I can't say enough how much I appreciate you and your drive. I love you Jeff!
My handsome guys!

3-my Dad- thank you Dad for being the take charge man that you are. I can remember when I phoned and had blurred vision and needed help your answer was " we are leaving right away". From helping with C, to driving me to the doctor, you were there to help and I barely had to ask. I love you Dad!
My Dad and Mom

4- my Mom- of course I wish you weren't Mom, but thank goodness you are a Type 1 like me. From helping me through those first horrible few weeks, to ingraining in me that things will never be perfect no matter what you do, to being the Robin to my Batman in fundraising, I never would have made it through this year without you! I love you Mom, you Insulin-dependent woman, I love you!
Mom and I after Victoria half 2012

5-The 62 contributors (+plus their hard working families)  to my fundraising campaign- I can't thank you enough. When I felt like I was drowning and I received a donation it would push my head above the waves. When I was feeling strong and received a donation it made me feel like anything was possible! I love you contributors! I received two more donations this week taking me to $6,400.00!
Look what arrived this week-my contributors made this happen!

6-My body- if you can believe this one, yes, I still love my body! I was so mad at you at first for letting me down. How could you after 30 years? But you've made up for it- yes, we still have our  highs and lows, but on Thursday night I finished a speed workout in 28 degree heat which I started and finished with normal blood sugar- I feel stronger now than before I was pregnant, and most certainly stronger than that skinny, sick girl I was a year ago. I love you body- together with my knowledge, insulin, and the pump, we truly are a working team!

A couple weekends back, as I finished the last (uphill) kilometre of a 16 km run, Christina Aguilera's song 'Stronger' came on my Songza app. Maybe it was the'crazy' that sets in when you've run more than 12 km, but the lyrics really spoke to me about what my disease has done for me in the last year-(obviously this song is about someone that wronged someone else but the chorus really rings true):

"Fighter" by Christina Aguilera and Scott Storch

"After all that you put me through,
You think I'd despise you,
But in the end I wanna thank you,
'Cause you've made me that much stronger....

...Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RBOJpIwF47Y

Thank you Diabetes- you truly have made me stronger. Happy Anniversary! Here is to counting my blessings, and turning what could have been the crappiest year of my life into a year I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment