Saturday 13 July 2013

I'm over it!

   




My workout buddy! What you can't see is I am a sweaty mess-and he still let me hug him. Good kid.   


C's downward dog/headstand-he didn't learn that from TV!


 Morning blood sugar: 6.7-still a bit high, thinking I should adjust my pump but truthfully have been feeling lazy about looking in to it.
Episodes of low blood sugar today: none so far, it's 10am
Workout this morning: 2km warm up on Treadmill (walk/run), Les Mills Plyo High Intensity Interval training (30minutes)
Clean eating today: Chocolate/vanilla protein shake for breakfast care of Isagenix and a much needed black coffee :)


It's a week for confessions. My Saturday confession is that I use the tv to babysit my son while I work out. For a long while I had lots of guilt about this- in the world of hyper parenting and 'constant stimulation' using the tv even for one hour a day initially felt like one of the cardinal sins.
My husband has been a huge influence of 'working out even as a parent'. He has done this from the very beginning with my son. Initially when C was a newborn I would marvel at Jeff's ability to 'sweat like a beast' present child and all. Obviously I was amazed at first because I was sleep deprived, recovering from the trauma of a non-complicated labour and delivery ( can't even imagine the recovery from a complicated one!) and I was having the life sucked out of me as a nursing mother. In other words a workout was lower on the priority list compared to my non- lactating husband. I marvelled indeed!
The view from my treadmill-'cheese' says C
Now at 2 years and 3 1/2 months I am so happy with the routine we have created with our son. I watched him today from the treadmill perfectly content eating a snack and watching 'Doc Mcstuffins' on Disney Junior- I thought 'why did I ever feel guilty about this'. I'm keeping my sanity and my confidence by getting exercise, my son is watching less than an hour of tv so that I can do this (in the middle of my workout, he stopped watching tv to copy some of my exercises and at one point opened the sliding door to go outside in the backyard and beautiful sunshine), and I'm being a role model. If that doesn't make me a better parent than what does?
There are people that will read this and say "that just wouldn't work for us" which is fine. If there is one thing I know as a parent, what works for one doesn't always work for another. But for those that are still feeling guilty about taking time for themselves, please don't! I'm certainly not, you could say I'm over it.

2 comments:

  1. You are a fabulous woman, I don't know how you do it all! Awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K-I would mirror the same comment back to you! :)

      Delete