Thursday 14 March 2013

Celebrating a (small) victory tonight!



Morning blood sugar: 4.9
Episodes of low blood sugar today: 1 (3.7 at 3:00 pm)
"C's" mood today: Tired! But mostly nice. Was told he pushed a few kids at daycare today :(
Clean eating today: Homemade egg Mcmuffin with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for breakfast, leftover Grilled Eggplant Parmesan for lunch, and Cheesy Beans and Rice for dinner-the trifecta! :)
Workout today: Track workout with my running club-15 minute warm up, 2x400m, 2x800m, 2x400m, and 15 minute cool down.
Donations this week: 3 donations from my wonderful co-workers :)

I feel happy tonight! Hence why I am writing. It has been a tough 10 days, busy with lots of adult responsibilities, and life's ups and downs, and the ups and downs of a (fairly) new diabetic of course. Tonight I came home after my track workout to celebrate a win over Diabetes. My celebration included a good stretch,  a great chat with my husband, and a much earned glass (ok, a couple glasses) of wine.

I completed a track workout tonight-it involves doing laps at a certain speed (split times) to help train your body to run faster and endure some added stress. This is all in hopes that the stress you endure now will help you endure the stress you put on yourself during the half marathon that I am training for. I had a great workout-I hit all of my split times, I felt good (ok, not the whole time, there were times when my legs felt like jell-o and my lungs felt like they were bleeding) and the best part is I didn't have any lows! Yippee! In fact I managed to eat a small dinner at 4:30 pm, reduced my insulin with my meal, got to the track and tested a 5.7 when I got there. At first I thought, "ooo, a bit lower than I hoped" but then I thought, don't worry, eat some Stinger gummies (3= 12 g of carbs) and go! My victory was punctuated when I returned to my car, and before driving home I tested a 5.5-excellent! That's right Diabetes, a big F-U to you. I can still do a track workout and have normal blood sugars and I don't even need a functioning pancreas-doin it without you!

This was a big victory for me as previously when I have done speed work I have ended up feeling lousy, with low blood sugar and all.  But not tonight, tonight was all mine. It is so nice when things work out, and you do everything you think you should and end up where you want to be. The key tonight was consuming way more carbohydrate than I thought necessary to keep my sugars where they should be. I calculated that during my workout (including those pre-workout gummies) I consumed 42 grams of carbohydrate-this was in the form of 8 Stinger gummies and half of a raspberry flavor gel ( I won't mention the brand of this gel as I thought it tasted disgusting, like eating jam straight up, but hey the gel was free as this 'not to be named' company was the sponsor of tonight's workout). 42 grams (for those that don't know) is the equivalent of 4 thin slices of whole grain bread-so nothing to scoff at.

I'm celebrating this victory tonight because there are other times when things do not go well, or as planned. In fact earlier in the week I was suppose to do a nice and steady 6 km which ended with me walking the last 2km and consuming my emergency stash of gummies, as at kilometer 3 I started to see spots. The run had not really gone well at all as I had decided to take my beagle, Lizzie with me. She can be a great workout buddy but not that day-I felt like I dragged her out for the first 3km. I was later told by my husband that he had taken her out for a run that morning. Poor dog! She was like "not this again! I'm tired" And here I thought she was just being difficult.

Other lows this week included being awarded (by myself, of course) the worst mother of the year award for accidentally tripping my son on my neighbor's driveway. C was chasing a ball and I stuck my foot out to stop it. I missed the ball and tripped him, and he landed on his face on the driveway, ending up with his first shiner. The award was further emphasized a mere hour later when C decided he wanted to climb down from his booster chair at the dinner table by himself and proceeded to fall sideways from the chair onto his head. Did I mention we have hardwood floors? Awesome mothering skills, I know. Nothing worse than your child being hurt-like someone ripping your heart out and stomping on it.

But again, the downs of this week have all been wiped away by my fabulous night. I'm exhausted but supremely satisfied with this victory and I am going to enjoy it! Now I am going to fall into bed and dream about more victories-they will keep me going through all the ups and downs to come. Good night!

Victory wine of choice tonight 












No comments:

Post a Comment