Monday 19 August 2013

August- I'm beginning to think you don't like me.

Morning blood sugar: don't know yet. I am trying to stay in bed as we have a long day of travel ahead of us, but I can't sleep in. It's 6:37 am and I'm writing this while lying down in bed.
Episodes of low blood sugar today: see above.
C's mood today: still asleep thank goodness- a few sleep noises here and there.
Clean eating menu: we will be flying all day so this should be interesting. I've done my best to pack healthy snacks- as best you can without packing fruits and veggies. We are flying through Seattle and you know how the US can be- I remember I went camping one year in Minnesota and they confiscated my veggie burgers ( veggie burgers, really!?There were 2 of them and they were just for me!).
Workout: planning on a light 5 km on the treadmill to stretch my legs before I am stuck in a tube for the rest of the day- did I mention this will be with a 2 year old? Wish me luck.

Oh what a couple of weeks it has been. It is enough to be flying overseas to run a race- let alone to pack a family. Needless to say the last two weeks have been busy with organizing, tying up loose ends at work, and far too many trips to the pharmacy ( I must write another post soon titled " flying as a Diabetic" just to fill you in on all the ins and outs).
Previous to last year, August has aways been a pretty good month. Nice weather, that bit of chill in the air at night makes you sleep better, my sister and dad have birthdays in the month so there is usually a celebration or two. Well, the love affair ended last year when 5 days before the month began I was diagnosed with an incurable disease, on the first day of the month I took my first insulin injection, and the vacation time I had booked for that first week of the month was spent learning to look after my new Diabetic self.
The love (hate) affair continues this year. My mother called me last Thursday as I was getting ready for my run clinic. A conversation that begins with "Amy, your Dad and I are at the hospital" is never a good one. It turns out my Dad won the "get a Staph infection that attacks your knee and requires emergency orthopaedic surgery" lottery last Thursday. Needless to say he will not be able to come to Iceland as planned. :( he is now on IV antibiotics daily which he has to go the health centre to get. Thankfully he is doing much better in the last week and is starting to sound like his old self. He is a strong enough man to have encouraged us to still travel- even his primary care giver ( my mom) is still going. Thank goodness for great family friends who have offered to help him while we Are gone ( thank you Court and Betty and Don and Claudette- you have made a very stressful situation a little easier on all of us!).
Well, better go. A crazy day ahead. I am feeling a mix of excitement, nerves, guilt ( love you Dad!), and pure " let's do this!" Attitude. After all this trip is 10 months in the making. Wish me luck! It's still August after all, I'm going to need it!
Last night's fortification- Brenivin. Only three glasses, sigh.
Think Icelandic Schnapps- also known as 'black death'  :) I'm fortified, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment