Friday 21 June 2013

Back to the future moment

Morning blood sugar: 6.0 (woke up starving, was sure I was low, but thankfully not)
Episodes of low blood sugar today: a big fat zero :) thank you insulin pump-you are my new best friend.
C's mood today: Good. Woke up singing a wordless version of "The ABC's" song complete with 'Yay' and self-clapping following his rendition. This toddler kills me...what a ham.
Workout today: Rest day from running. 18 holes of golf with my hubby, with a cart (does this count as a workout?)
Clean eating today: Well?!....it was a great day full of healthy snacks (almonds, apple, homemade protein bar) but we celebrated Father's day a weekend late out for breakfast, and topped off the evening with a Finlay tradition (my maiden name) with Friday night Pizza. So in other words a cheat day was had in my house...but hey I tried to eat well 80% of the day and had some treats 20% of the day-it's called balance people. That is important.
Donations: another anonymous donation came in this week. Fabulous! But why are they anonymously donating? Half the fun of this is so that I can write the donator a fabulous 'thank you' email' after the fact. This anonymity thing kind of throws me off! So thank you, whoever you are!!! :)

Jeff and I got out today for a wonderful round of golf. 18 holes in fact; this is typically something I have to be convinced to do. 18 holes of golf takes up a heck of a lot of time especially when you are a mom,  a wife, a half marathoner, and a part time physiotherapist. But I somehow found the time today, and it was fabulous. Amma and Daideo babysat for us, both C and dog, which was greatly appreciated (Amma is Icelandic for grandmother and Daideo is Celtic for grandfather-yes, we are new age here people. But you know what? It works for us. We have another set of grandparents that go by Gramma and Grandpa so these 'foreign' words actually create less confusion for C which is great :)
I had a "Back to the Future" moment today when we were introduced to our golfing partners. Anyone that golfs knows that in an ideal world when you make plans to golf with your partner you get to golf only with them; this rarely happens as courses are busy, so you are often 'foursomed' up with another couple whom you have never laid eyes on in your entire life. Somehow in the game of golf this works-but it goes without saying that playing a sport with people whom you have never met always makes for some interesting moments.
Let's just say that "Robert" and "Marie" (I'm using their real names here as I am pretty sure they won't mind, nor will they ever get their hands on this piece of writing) were basically Jeff and I 40 years in the future. Overall they were a pleasant couple- friendly and presented with the niceties you would hope for in a social situation; as the game got underway, their true selves started to shine through. They were intense, competitive, and a wee bit crotchety. At first I thought, "jeez, they need to lighten up" and later I thought "crap, that is totally us-but 40 years from now". So when it was all said and done, we enjoyed a great day of food, golf, and fun. And I think some higher power (or Micheal J. Fox perhaps) was telling me to lighten up and not always take life so seriously sometimes! So what? You're in the bunker? You are on beautiful Vancouver Island, golfing with your fit and fab husband, while your cute kid is being looked after by wonderful grandparents! Smile, laugh, and enjoy your life. It is far too short to be mad about your stupid golf score. :) Lighten up and have a great weekend. (that goes for all of you too!)

Golf anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment