Saturday 7 December 2013

Children teach you patience, selflessness and how to get up freakin' early!

Morning blood sugar: 4.3 (I indulged in a rum and diet coke last night for a Friday night treat- sometimes when I have alcohol the night before, I end up a bit low in the morning)
Episodes of low blood sugar today : none (it's currently 8:45 am)
C's mood today: Good. He suddenly has a runny nose...again (sigh!)...coughing, snotty, but happy.
Workout this morning: 55 minutes of cardio- 10 minute warm up on our elliptical, 45 minutes run on our treadmill. Yes, we basically have a '24 hour fitness' location in our basement!
Clean eating today: breakfast was a bagel thin (as the name sounds, a super thin bagel with about half the carbohydrate factor of a full bagel) with 1 tsp natural PB, egg whites with a bit of hot sauce, and a Christmas orange. About 40 grams of carbohydrate total. My girlfriend once asked me how I know how much carbs are in different foods. The short answer is I read a lot of labels and memorize a lot of packages. For example off the top of my head I know there is 25 g carbs in a bagel thin, 16 g carbs in 12 rice crackers, 15 g carbs in 1/3 of a cup of old fashioned oats. Fruit is a bit of a guessing game depending on size- I wagered my orange had about 15 g carbs in it this morning- we'll see later if I am right based on my blood sugar reading later this morning. All you needed to know and more about carbohydrates, right? Well when it is truly a matter of being healthy and feeling well it becomes very important! 
Yes, I've posted a photo of my breakfast, and you love it!   

Another sweaty Saturday! 55 min workout done before 8am-Thanks C for the wake up call.

It is dark and extremely cold outside (for Vancouver Island anyways). I am tucked snugly into bed with my dog and husband snoring next to me. I hear a door knob rattle, and a little person clicking a door shut down the hall. I roll over and look at the clock. 5:38 am. I can't help it and let out a moderately loud, "UGH!" It's Saturday morning and my son is awake. It is not enough that I spent half the night listening to him cough (side note: kids can hack and cough IN THEIR SLEEP, and will remain asleep even though their parents lie awake down the hall, thinking of ways they could help them feel better. Second note: it is possible to feel physical pain when you listen to someone sound uncomfortable all night-when my son has a cough (which is usually like 4-5 times a year) I get a tightness in my chest, and I feel it is more difficult to breathe. The cause is likely my own anxiety and neuroses-but I like to think it is my "connection" with my own flesh and blood, he was a part of my body for nine months after all!)

Jeff tries the old "C, it is too early. Let's get you back in bed." To which C answers, with his favorite 2 year old term "No." Jeff counters with "Do you want to get into bed with me?" To which C answers "Yes". It goes without saying, Jeff and I are perfectly ok with this under the circumstances. Read "The Books" all you like about what to do, and what not to do; Sometimes 'in the moment' as a parent you do what needs to be done, one reason being for pure survival, the second reason being so that you don't lose your s$%t first thing on a Saturday morning. Not a good way to start your day, ever and best to be avoided.

The co-sleeping thing goes well for all of about 5 minutes.  After the 5th episode of C coughing in Jeff's face, Jeff has had enough and gets up to get ready for his day (ie. workout, shower, etc.) C and I stay in bed for another 10 minutes when C decides he is ready to face the day as well. So I do what any good parent does on a cold December morning at 5:50am (Parenting Police-skip over this part, or you might have a coronary!) -I plunk C in front of the TV with a blanket, a glass of water, and I return to bed for a 20 minute power nap. Once you have been up at 5:30, 6:30am feels like a glorious sleep in!

The bright side here? I am up, dressed, showered, and have completed a workout and it is not even 9:30am. One thing about getting up so early-there is that much more day to enjoy. Here is to hoping my day involves a nice long afternoon nap.....with some ear plugs. Love you C!

No comments:

Post a Comment